As Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) continues to spread throughout our country and communities, we are focused on providing care while maintaining a safe facility for our staff and visitors. Please find below various updates on this rapidly evolving situation.
No Visitor Policy
To stem the spread of COVID-19 and help keep our residents, visitors and staff safe, our facility implemented a no-visitor policy on March 11, 2020 until further notice. No visitors, except in end of life situations, will be allowed in any resident areas until further notice. All visitors who meet exclusion criteria must pass a health screening.
We regret restrictions on visitation have become necessary because of the COVID-19 outbreak. The facility has iPads available to residents for use in conducting virtual visits with friends and loved ones. Staff are available to help residents use this great communication tool. In lieu of person-to-person visits, families are encouraged to use virtual communication, such as Facetime®, Zoom® or Snapchat®.
As COVID-19 continues to spread across the communities we serve, we continuously evaluate and adjust our protocols as needs evolve and the situation on our frontlines change. Effective April 2, 2020 as per the Ohio Department of Health, we are implementing a universal masking policy requiring all staff at our facility to wear a surgical mask. This is a precautionary measure intended to better protect each other and our residents.
Staff Impacted By COVID-19
The safety of our residents and staff is our top priority, and we have strong infection prevention protocols in place in line with CDC guidelines to protect our staff. If a team member in our facility is diagnosed with COVID-19 or is exposed, we follow CDC guidance for health care workers, including quarantining. We continue to reinforce strong infection prevention measures, including screening of all staff and essential medical personnel upon entry into our facility.
Personal Protective Equipment
For the health and safety of our staff and residents, we have updated our personal protective equipment (PPE) standards to help conserve supplies as we test and care for residents under investigation with COVID-19. Amid the challenges nationwide with PPE shortages, we have supply to meet our current needs but expect the demand will increase significantly. We continue to work diligently to secure additional supplies from all available sources.
Residents Under Investigation and COVID-19 Cases
We are closely monitoring our residents for symptoms of COVID-19. When necessary and appropriate, residents are tested under the guidance and direction of their physician. However, we have be called upon to provide care to COVID-19 positive residents. We have instituted a COVID-19 isolation unit and we will follow the recommended procedures and staffing protocol established by the CDC and the Ohio Department of Health.
General Organizational Efforts Regarding COVID-19
The latest on the facility’s COVID-19 efforts:
- We continue to educate and update our staff on the latest guidance from the CDC and state health agencies to keep themselves and residents safe.
- We have held simulation exercises for treating COVID-19 residents, have plans in place to address increased resident volume and have implemented visitor restrictions.
- We have instituted COVID-19 policies and procedures recommended by state and federal health agencies.
- Signage about symptoms and travel history has been placed in resident and visitor areas.
- We have introduced additional cleaning and sanitizing as an added layer of safety and precaution.
- Residents no longer gather for communal meals as meals are prepared and delivered to the resident’s room.
- We are encouraging use of technology versus in-person meetings except for end-of-life situations.